The oldest surviving building within Molesworth Station is the historic Acheron Accommodation House. It was constructed in 1862-63 by cob builder Ned James, and it was used until 1932 by stockmen and travellers on the inland route between Nelson and Christchurch. The house was one of six rest places providing shelter and meals on the six day journey.
Acheron Homestead, at the confluence of the Clarence and Acheron Rivers
The Homestead, constructed of cob with a tussock-thatched roof, now protected by corrugated iron. The building is maintained by the Department of Conservation, which administers Molesworth Station.
The construction (click once to enlarge image, twice to enlarge again)
Homestead from the north-western side, with protected outdoor oven
Kitchen showing thatched roof and sod walls
West-facing verandah looking across the Clarence Valley
East-facing front of the homestead
View up the Clarence River from the Acheron Lookout Loop Track, starting at the homestead
Leaving the homestead on the way to Hanmer, looking back across the Clarence River
Acheron Homestead is 25km north-east of Hanmer (click once to enlarge)
The road over Jacks Pass is gravel and can be icy in winter. The road over Jollies Pass is not maintained and is suitable for high vehicles only.
Click here for a Department of Conservation brochure on Molesworth Station.