The Hilgendorf building had a strong presence on the Lincoln University campus, comprising about 30 % of Lincoln’s academic floor space. Built in the brutalist style and opened in 1968, it was named after Frederick William Hilgendorf, who pioneered plant breeding in New Zealand, concentrating on wheat. He joined the staff in 1899, and retired in 1936.
The building sustained earthquake damage in the September 2010 earthquake. (The earthquake in February 2011 that devastated Christchurch did not affect buildings in the Lincoln area in the same way.) The decision was made to demolish the building. It was stripped by the end of August 2015; then the deconstruction began.
Click here for a video link, showing deconstruction taking place on 3 October 2015.
Click here for a video called “Lincoln University Campus: Hilgendorf Immortalised”, published on 7 July 2015, showing drone footage of the building while its exterior was still intact.