We flew out of Mt Cook airport about 10am on a winter’s day that was fine but threatening to deteriorate with an incoming norwester. Fortunately the expected deterioration did not occur and the weather improved to a sunny and relatively calm day. Having each been fitted out with a harness and avalanche locator beacon for safety requirements, we were looking forward to two ski runs on the Tasman Glacier, being relocated by the plane after the first run. Click on any image to enlarge.
Attaching our skis
The Routeburn Track is one of New Zealand’s nine Great Walks, a set of premier tramping tracks. Straddling Fiordland National Park and Mt Aspiring National Park, the Routeburn’s highest point is 1300 metres and its lowest point is 477 metres. There are rivers, lakes, forests, tussocklands and alpine views – wild and scenic landscapes in its 32 kilometres. We set off from the Divide (near the Homer Tunnel on the Milford Road) and completed the track three days later at Glenorchy, at the northern end of Lake Wakatipu.
Day One – the Divide to Lake Mackenzie Lodge (12km)
Track to Key Summit
Leaving our packs on the track at the turn-off, we took a 30 minute walk up to Key Summit.
Heathcote Valley from Bridle Path, about 1880 (on the left) and 2015 (on the right). Click to enlarge
As a pre-Christmas trek, we walked the Bridle Path, from the Heathcote Valley over the Port Hills to Lyttelton. On the way we passed an information board which reminded us of the challenges faced by the early European settlers who arrived in Christchurch in 1850. The photo on the left, originally from the Canterbury Museum and taken about 1880, appears on the information board.
The Otago Peninsula is a long finger of land, running 20km alongside Otago Harbour. It is hilly and rugged, and is home to some magnificent marine life and birdlife. (Click on map to enlarge.)
Entrance to Otago Harbour from the Peninsula, looking across to Aramoana, natural sandbar on the left, and breakwater on the right
The Hilgendorf building had a strong presence on the Lincoln University campus, comprising about 30 % of Lincoln’s academic floor space. Built in the brutalist style and opened in 1968, it was named after Frederick William Hilgendorf, who pioneered plant breeding in New Zealand, concentrating on wheat. He joined the staff in 1899, and retired in 1936. Continue reading