The Curator’s House is a busy hub for visitors to the Botanic Gardens. The house is set on the banks of the Avon River and surrounded by a demonstration fruit and vegetable garden. It was opened as a restaurant in 2000, but was built in 1920 for the curator of The Botanic Gardens. The 21 hectares of gardens form a backdrop for the old house, which lies within 164 hectares of Hagley Park, in Central Christchurch. It has recently reopened following strengthening and repair work after earthquake damage in February and June 2011. These photos were taken in January 2013, showing the restaurant in full summer colours.
See also Hagley Park in Autumn.